As this project draws to an end its time to evaluate my work. Something I’m so happy with is the final film, it came out exactly how I imagined it. This boosts my confidence in knowing I can achieve my goal of creating content to a good standard. Another thing I feel went well was my choice of subject. I decided that there was no point focusing on subjects that didn’t interest me, therefore choosing to study my uncle I found interest and it allowed me to experiment on the shoot day without too much hassle. I found that I can write a creative poem, this made my film connect on an emotional level. This also made me more confident in writing.
I found that I researched a lot of work this project, however despite the amount I found I didn’t write enough to back up my ideas or thoughts on specific posts. I know that this is crucial when researching so I can reflect back on what I have written to influence my films. Another thing I think I can improve on next time is including a test shoot, even though I played around with the cameras the footage we shot wasn’t relevant to my film, which is something I intend to improv next project so I don’t have to experiment on shoot days costing me valuable time. Im aware this project was about film festivals and after researching them I didn’t find one that was specific enough for my film, however I know for the future what film festivals are looking for. My focusing in some shots wasn’t perfect I think this was just a small error in my film that I can correct when I shoot my next film.
Despite going in to my shoot with a rough idea I found that filming things that don’t seem that important at the time helps in editing because it shows process. I found this specifically in this film because I nearly missed out crucial parts of my uncles method, meaning the film wouldn’t have made sense. Another thing I’m going to focus on next time I create a film like this is recording the audio at the correct levels. Because I didn’t put the recording levels up when retrieving the monologue I had to waste time trying to correct this mistake, however this has taught me ways to fix audio that I didn’t already know, so I have learnt my lesson with this mistake. I tried to shoot in slow motion but because I filmed at 25fps the slo mo didn’t flow and looked patchy, I know I should have shot in 50fps so I would look more fluid. This was a mistake that happened on the day. With all the things going on around me I just forgot. This is a silly error I will definitely remember for the future
Some of my shots didn’t have good colour and contrast but were vital to the creative process, therefore I didn’t think about placement which meant that they were lacking in looking “pretty” I can change this by thinking of my shots before I shoot them or taking variations of shots so I have a few choices. This shot doesn’t include good contrast or the lens flares from other shot so the film doesn’t flow as well.
In conclusion I have found that I can create a good standard film on my own, however I need to develop my ideas on my blog more and remember basic lessons I have learnt in class, even if it means referring to my blog.