I’m not as happy about this film than the last. I found coming up with an idea harder than when we did the mug films, although we did have longer to plan this. We struggled getting the specific shots written in to detail but we knew what we anted in each scene.
However one thing that went really well was the music and editing. I found piecing the film together was easy to do. This was because we had multiple shots repeated throughout the film. Another thing that i think went well was the facial expression and body language Joey and I had. I think it adds to the film when we squint and twitch or fingers.
They add a original old western feel to the film. Especially from the Good the bad and the ugly.
Despite the film being successful we have a million and one ways we could have made it better.
One would be the shakiness of the camera when its a close up of us walking. Ive learnt that if you’re not going for a shaky effect it should be done with a tripod. It makes the audience feel almost like they are getting sea sick if you don’t use it in the right context.
We decided to consider the 180 rule a lot I this however i think we need to practice a bit more as we were getting confused when shooting where we should be looking in order for it to look correct. Another thing we over thought was all the shots. As we didn’t have a specific shot list it made it difficult to shoot the correct shots so we could edit it together at the end. We had more than enough time to plan we just didn’t use it productively. I know that in the future a shot list is crucial to ensure that we don’t waste precious filming time.
I struggled to get the story line across to people without blankly telling them what was going on. I think this is because we didn’t shoot a shot of the bench on its own, this meant people didn’t know what Joey and I were fighting for. I also think i should have used a more original soundtrack as most other students used the same one which made it difficult to sit and watch the same exact film over and over again.
Editing wise this was easy to put together, however it was time consuming copying and pasting the same shots multiple times. I’d have liked to have different shots to use because I found that it was very repetitive.
In my next film I am going to be more prepared for the shooting of it, I’m going to do this by making sure I have a shot list and that the whole crew is clear on what is going to happen. Also that we have more shots than we need so we can pick the best ones and not just have to stick with only one.